Saturday, January 12, 2008

Not taking the BOT on vacation

I've decided to not take the iBOT when I go to Disneyland.
Although I was really looking forward to being tall while
I was there, I decided it's not worth risking it. Airlines
damage powerchairs all the time. On top of often careless
baggage handling people, the chair does not get tied down in
any form after it has been loaded - which allows it to get
banged around should there be turbulence.

I'm disappointed. It's frustrating that people with
powerchairs should have to be concerned about something like
this. I find it odd that the airlines are not required to
at least tie them down. Sure, if they break the chair they'll
give you a loaner to use until yours gets fixed, but getting
one of those heavy, uncomfortable, clunky, over-sized chairs
like I had in 1978 is unacceptable. And although the airlines
would have to pay for the repairs, would the chair ever be
the same?

Someone who reads my blog left me a comment with a link
to this company: http://www.haseltine.com/. It looks like
it might be a good solution, but how could I transport such
a large container. And then I'd have the lug the thing to
the hotel and then back to the airport. Getting just the
iBOT to and from the airport would be a big enough hassle
in itself.

So I'm leaving the BOT home. In future trips I will possibly
risk taking it. It all depends on where I'm going and how
long I'll be gone. For example, if I'm going to Hawaii, I'll
take it because I'll want it for the beach. If I'm going to
Paris, I'll want it for the beautiful Pere LaChaise cemetery.
If I'm going to Barcelona, I'll want it to explore the city.
If I'm going to Africa, I'll want it to quickly get away
from the hungry lions. If I'm going to Asia, I'll want it
to get to the top of Mt Everest. If I'm going to Mars, I
might need it to run over and squash the little green
Martains who try to invade my body.

I actually have a solution to my problem. I was thinking I
could trade bodies with someone who had working legs. Any
volunteers? I wouldn't even turn down man legs. I'm also
willing to consider animals legs. I think zebra legs might
work well. Good height, nice markings. Oh, but then I'd
have to get zebra shoes, so nevermind.

Seriously though, I've been wondering if I'll ever get robot legs.
I'm sure some day there will either be a cure for paralysis, or
there will be some sort of amazing robot legs. I'm not sure if
it will happen in my lifetime, but it would be cool if it did.
I'm sure we're a long way off from that happening, but at least
there are people working on it: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12497049/

I met a friend for lunch in downtown yesterday. We went back to
her office and while I was in Balance in the elevator I somehow
managed to get the back of my armrest caught under the handrail. It
nearly ripped the handrail off. I didn't check, but I bet it
loosened it. Anyway, the time it took to open on the 5th floor,
close, go up to the 10th floor, open and close, and then go back
down to the 5th floor is the amount of time it took me to get
unstuck.

One of my readers told me that he misses my photography. I haven't
been doing much photography lately considering the rain and cold,
but D in Rochester, these are for you...



2 comments:

Unknown said...

well D in rochester isn't the only one who is missing your photography. I also do and always check incase it hasn't flagged up on your other blog!!

As for working legs - you have a great sense of humour, personally I think giraffe but then I have short fat ones so I guess I would!

more photos please!

Shannon said...

I'm glad someone appreciates my sense of humor!

Giraffe legs would be acceptable - although I think it would be a bit of a pain to have to always duck when going through doorways. I suppose beggars can’t be choosers.

There probably won't be many new photos anytime soon. It's too dang cold! I suppose I could maybe do some indoor photography. I much prefer natural lighting though.