Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Attention Scott!

You wrote:

I would like to suggest the following:

1) Make sure we have a very clear understanding as to why J&J made this decision as well as get the names of the individuals involved in the final decision.

2) If Medicare's denial was the ultimate deathblow perhaps that's where we should focus our efforts.

3) Once we understand the factors involved I think we should leverage the power of both the media and the Internet to tell the world exactly how life-changing this device is.

3a) Media-Contact anyone that's ever done a story on the IBOT. I'm talking Dateline, 60 Minutes, CNN etc.

3b) I know some of us have used Youtube to show the IBOT off and I think it would be a great place to share our stories and build public support for the continued production of the IBOT.

As far as getting the names of additional IBOT users... perhaps we should start with the IBOT website and the folks that have provided testimonials. I have contact information for three individuals as well as another discussion forum goIBOT.com

Just some thoughts... let me know what you think.


1) I just called customer service. I asked if the main reason for stopping production of the iBOT was because of Medicare's refusal to pay for it. She said, "I can't say that". She then read a script to me and it was quite lengthy. I couldn't write it all down, but if you want to hear it, call 877-794-3125. She did say that the demand for the iBOT has not proven sufficient to obtain a sustainable market. She also said something about "challenging reimbursement". Which to me means that because people can't afford to buy iBOTs and because insurance companies refuse to pay for them, there isn't enough demand. I did not ask for names of who made the final decision.

2) So yes, based on what I wrote above, it sounds like Medicare's denial was the ultimate deathblow. I agree that we need to focus our attention there.

3) Agreed. Have you contacted anyone?

Regarding getting the names of additional iBOT users, the iBOTnow website no longer exists. Oh how I wish I had written down the names of the iBOT owners listed there... especially the lawyer and the people in politics.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The graphics don't seem to be coming up and for some reason there are no 2008 pages but you can view older versions of the ibotnow.com website here:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.ibotnow.com

Anonymous said...

These should be the same but it can't hurt to check them out:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.indetech.com

Anonymous said...

Clickable version of the first comment:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.ibotnow.com

Shannon said...

Thanks for the links! Unfortunately, when I click on the part that reads "Read how the iBOT has changed the lives of many wheelchair users" it tells me "No archived versions of the page you requested are available. If the page is still available on the Internet, we will begin archiving it during our next crawl."

Am I at a dead end?

Anonymous said...

Most likely you are unless someone out there made a copy of the page. Sorry.