Tuesday, January 2, 2007


Stairs AGAIN?                                                                         

Sorry, I don't mean to dwell on stairs, but they've
been a major pain in the ass for the majority of
my life.

I was thinking this morning about how I have 
never had a friend whose home is wheelchair
accessible.  Wait, there was one friend, but he
doesn't count because he is in a wheelchair
too and so of course his place is accessible.
Other than him, I have never, ever, been able
to knock on a friend, neighbor, or family member's
front door without assistance from at least one
able bodied adult.   I mean, I was physically able
to climb steps before my accident, but I was only
8 years old when I was injured, and I'm sure
my mom wouldn't allow me to go knocking on
people's doors without an adult with me.

I suppose this might not sound like such a big
deal, and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining,
because I'm not, but this iBOT is a huge deal!  It's
going to, and already has, changed people's lives!  
It pisses me off that every wheelchair user can't
have one.  In a perfect world, no one would need
a wheelchair.  But since hundreds of thousands
of people do need a wheelchair, and our world
was built for walkers, it's only right that every
person who would benefit from an iBOT should  
have an iBOT.  There are a wide variety of 
reasons why many wheelers don't have iBOTs, but 
the number 1 reason is that it's expensive.  Most
insurance companies  aren't willing to pay for a $23,900
wheelchair when they figure the person can get
by perfectly fine with a $2,000 manual wheelchair.
That's gotta change, but I'm completely clueless
as to how to make that happen.   
 

No comments: